The Maag Farmhouse, completed in 1899, was the ranch house of citrus and nut grower John Anton Maag, his wife Catherine, and 10 of their 12 children. The size of the family and Maag’s success in his agricultural and business ventures are reflected in this nearly 6,000 square foot Colonial Revival house. Members of the Maag family lived in the house until Catherine died in 1955. The 31-acre ranch on which it stood was then purchased by the adjacent Fairhaven Cemetery, which put the house to use as a caretaker’s residence before selling the land to a mobile home developer in the 1970s. In 1982 it was moved to the Museum along with two of its original outbuildings.

Exterior features of the house include a hipped roof with two gables, one on the front of the house and one on the side. An L-shaped porch wraps around the corner between the front and the main side entries, with its roof supported on Tuscan columns. Pedimented gables enhanced by scrollwork accent these entries.
The original floor plan of the house included six bedrooms, a grand paneled entry hall, a large parlour, a music room, a dining room capable of seating up to 24 people, a spacious kitchen, a butler’s pantry, and one and a half bathrooms.

The house has been recently repainted by volunteers from Behr using a colorful palette typical of the Victorian period. The area in front of the house, which had become badly overgrown, has been cleared and is now an expansive lawn.

The companion buildings, carriage barn and water tower/pump house, also stand near the main house. Both have been restored on the outside. The inside of the carriage barn has been remodeled to house Museum offices and classroom/meeting space. The water tower/pump house now houses a small gift shop specializing in toys for the thousands of school children who visit the Museum each year.

GREAT NEWS! After 30 years of waiting, steps are now being taken to finally restore the Maag Farmhouse to it’s Colonial Revival glory! The interior of the home is being rehabilitated to house brand new exhibit and conference space, beginning with the ground floor as Phase 1.

Contact Kevin Cabrera at (714) 540-0404×224 or via email at kcabrera@heritagemuseumoc.org to join the restoration project!